Google listings are the first thing potential clients and customers often click on when they search for your business on Google.
It provides them with a wealth of information about your company:
- So much more
A My Business Google profile is something every business should have and optimize, too. In this guide, we’ll run you through the basics of GMB and help you better understand why your business needs a profile today.
What is Google My Business? – GMB Meaning
Google My Business, or GMB, is a helpful tool that makes it easy to manage and optimize Google business pages.
Your Business Profile is your Google business listing. It’s what appears on Google Maps as well as the local search results.
If you’ve ever searched for a business, product or service on Google, you’ve probably come across many Business Profiles. Profiles list the company’s:
- Web address
- Phone number
- Operation hours
Your Google Business Profile makes it easier for customers in your local area to find your business and get in touch with you.
How to Create a Google Business Account
In order to create a Google Business Profile, you first need to create a Google Account. You don’t need a Gmail account to create a Google Account.
Here’s how to set up an account:
- First, head over to https://accounts.google.com/signup/v2/webcreateaccount?gmb=exp&biz=true&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=SignUp to create a business account. It’s important to create a business account, not a personal one, as it will be much easier to set up a Business Profile page.
- Fill out the form on the link above.
- Add a phone number to verify your account (this step is optional).
- Add recovery info.
- You’re ready to get started!
Consider choosing a username that’s relevant to your business to make account and profile management easier.
How To Make A Google Page For Business
Now that you have a Google Account, you can set up your Business Profile.
- First, sign in and head over to https://business.google.com/ to start creating and managing your profile.
- Enter the name of your business and click Next.
- Add your business’s address and click Next.
- Choose how you want to display your business on Maps (tell Google whether or not you serve customers at your business’s address).
- Select your business category and click Next.
- Enter your business’s phone number and/or web address.
The next step is verification. Before you do that, take the time to review all of your information. Only move on to the verification step when you’re sure that your business’s information is correct.
There are several ways to verify your business:
- Live video chat
- Video recording
Once you’ve chosen your preferred method, follow the steps provided by Google. Google manually reviews business verifications, and this process can take up to seven days. You’ll be notified once you’re verified.
Managing Google My Business
Once your GMB profile is up and running, you’ll need to manage it. Managing your profile means:
- Optimizing your page to help drive traffic and customers to your door
- Adding photos and updates to make your business stand out.
- Responding to reviews and answering questions.
- Verifying that your business’s information is correct.
You can manage your GMB page directly through Google or the Google Maps app.
Increasing your reviews and optimizing your Business Profile may help improve your rankings in the local search results. At the very least, it will help customers find your business and create a positive customer experience.
How To Increase Reviews on Google
Reviews matter. Customers and clients will look for reviews when searching for a business like yours. For example, if you search for a “pizza place near me,” you’ll certainly find a lot of great listings with reviews.
And you’ll look through these reviews to find out if the pizza place is worth going to.
Increasing your reviews on Google is as simple as asking for a review. You can ask your customers or clients to leave a review in a few ways:
- Place a card in the item box, saying, “leave us a review on Google.”
- When sending a confirmation e-mail, place a link that makes it super easy to leave a review.
- As patrons leave your store, tell them, “If you can, please leave us a review.”
You may be tempted to pay for reviews, but this is a major no-no and can get you in serious trouble. In fact, you cannot even ask someone to leave a positive review or entice them in any way.
Instead, you could say something like, “If you enjoyed your experience with us, please leave a review on Google.” Asking someone to leave a positive review can be seen as false advertising, and that’s the last thing any business owner wants when trying to optimize their business on Google.
Additionally, if you reply to reviews, you’ll find more people tend to leave them because they see how you engage with anyone leaving a review.
Google My Business Optimization Service
Creating a Google Business Profile isn’t enough. You need to optimize your business properly to maximize traffic and stand out from your competitors on the platform.
Google My Business Optimization is something that many SEO professionals offer because they can ensure that the optimization follows best practices. Google handles 3.5 billion searches per day, and your business must make a good impression.
Follow these tips:
- Go through every last section of your profile and fill it out.
- Add as much contact information as you can.
- Select the primary and secondary categories carefully.
- Click on all of the attributes that fit your business.
- Fill out the “from the business” box with as much info as you can.
- Upload your own photos to the listing and add new ones periodically.
If you follow just these six tips, you’ll be well on your way to a nicely optimized listing.
If you’re struggling with Google My Business optimization, work with a professional. The right optimization specialist will optimize your GMB page to increase exposure and maybe even sales.